“The file format is not supported” this is a common problem showing in the file manager when we try to open any file.
If you receive an error message that a file format is not supported, it means that the software you are using is unable to open or read the file. This can be due to several reasons, such as:
- The file is corrupted or damaged: In this case, the file may not open or may not display correctly even if it is opened.
- The file is in a format that is not supported: Different software applications support different file formats. If a file is in a format that is not supported by the software you are using, it will not be able to open the file.
- The software you are using is out of date: Some file formats are only supported by newer versions of software. If you are using an older version of the software, it may not be able to open newer file formats.
To fix this issue, you can try the following:
- Check if the file is corrupted or damaged: If the file is damaged or corrupted, you may not be able to open it. You can try repairing the file or restoring it from a backup if one is available.
- Convert the file to a supported format: You can use a file conversion tool to convert the file to a format that is supported by the software you are using.
- Update the software: If the software you are using is out of date, you can try updating it to the latest version to see if it supports the file format.
- Use a different software application: If the software you are using does not support the file format, you can try using a different software application that does support it.
If the problem is due to change in extension then you can try the following solutions for respective files.
This problem mostly shows due to incorrect extension.
Select the file in which you are facing a problem.
Click the three dots
If the file is a video then it should be ended with extension .mp4 or .mkv. The file’s name should be ended with .mp4 or .mkv.
If the file is audio then it should be ended with an extension .mp3 or .wav
If the file is a pdf then it should be ended with an extension .pdf
If it is an image then it should be ended with an extension .png or .jpg or jpeg
If it is an MS Word file then it should be ended with an extension .docx
If it is a PowerPoint presentation file then it should be ended with an extension .pptx
If it is an excel file then it should be ended with an extension .xlsx
If it is an application before installation then it should be ended with extension .apk
If you are facing a problem with any other file which has not been listed above then leave a comment below.
Video to guide how to follow the steps.